Happy Thursday, everyone! How is your week going?? We are SO close to the weekend and boy am I ready. The school year is coming to an end making the kids rowdy, and the teachers a little crazy. Hurry up summer!
Lately, I have been getting into loaded salads. I get different salad kits from Kroger to use as a base, then I add in some sort of meat and a few other items to make it my own and spice it up. This easily feeds my husband and I. We usually have leftovers, too!
Last night, I bought a southwest kit. It came with lettuce, tortilla strips, shredded cheese, and a greek yogurt jalapeno ranch dressing. I added cilantro chicken, fire roasted tomatoes, coconut oil fried plantain, and some extra spices. I served the salad with cornbread and it was excellent!!
Here is the recipe!
- One Southwest Salad kit (I got mine by the regular lettuce isle at Kroger)
- 3 chicken breasts
- 3 TBSP olive oil
- Pinch of cilantro
- Salt and pepper
- Garlic powder
- 1/2 a can of fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 plantain
- 1 TBSP coconut oil (for frying plantain)
- Any other toppings you like (beans, sliced avocado, etc.)
- Baste chicken breasts with olive oil, garlic, and salt
- Cut chicken into small pieces (tossing out excess fat)
- Pan fry chicken until no longer pink and add more seasoning to taste
- While the chicken is cooking, slice your plantain into semi-thin slices
- Heat coconut oil in a pan and add plantain over a medium to high heat
- Flip plantain once slightly brown on bottom, then remove from heat once second side is slightly brown
- Heat tomatoes on the stove until warm
- In a large bowl add everything from the salad kit (minus the dressing), the chicken, the tomatoes, and any other seasoning or extra toppings you like
- Toss in dressing and serve!
This was before tossing it all together!
My bowl with a cornbread muffin just because they are so darn tasty!!
I hope you enjoyed this recipe! Have a great rest of your day!